Friday, August 14, 2009

Hiking without the kids

Adam and I decided that if we were going to get a babysitter and do something for his birthday this month, the best thing to do would be to go hiking. There are a ton of places that we have yet to check out, and it is something we both enjoy. We ended up going to Castlewood Canyon State Park--and we definitely enjoyed it!

You hike down into a canyon and hike along the Cherry Creek. There are some great views. Adam always like rocks and so he enjoyed all the large boulders in the valley.



On the loop back, you walk above a big field. We were lucky enough to have seen a doe with her two fawns. We watched them for awhile a they ran from right by the trail, across the field, thru the river, and up the other side.
And of course, I was not disappointed in the wildflowers! This one here is a fairy trumpet.

A black-eyed susan.
A wild geranium.
At the end of the valley, before going up the other side, we sat for awhile enjoying nature. Adam sketched a tree on the side of the mountain, while I listened to nature and watched some birds. A yellow bird, that I'm not sure of the type kept flying around but I was unable to get a picture. Again I do not know what type this bird is, but he turned his head at just the right moment giving me a great picture :)
We kept seeing this big black bird flying around. A ranger came along and told us it was a turkey vulture. I was happy to get a decent picture.

No comments: