Sunday, November 16, 2008

From Snow to 70s

So on Friday we had snow--but today it was very warm.  We were suppose to get up to 63 but it felt warmer than that.  Since it was so nice---and because one of Adam's friends was in Colorado Springs---we took a trip to Garden of the Gods to do some hiking.


This is Adam and Mike.  They worked together in Albuquerque and have stayed in touch.  Mike is now back east so we were able to see him a couple times while we were there and he just happened to be in Colorado Springs taking a class for a couple weeks.

This is called Kissing Camels---if you look at the top where the whole is it looks like two camel heads kissing.  This is not the best angle but because of the sun it was the best pictures.  I really want to go back in the morning sometime because many of the pictures would be better if the sun was in a different position.

This is just a picture that I liked.  We hiked a loop trail at Kissing Camels and this was on the route.

This is a picture of Balanced Rock.  You can climb up around it.  It has been this way for thousands of years.
This is Balanced Rock from a different angle.  You can't tell the balanced part as much but I liked the colors better.
This picture and the one below are at Siamese Twins.  You can see Pike's Peak from here--or so they say.  The sun was setting so we couldn't see the mountains or look that way for long enough to even try and figure out which peak it was--another reason to return in the morning!

Kyla had fun on the hike.  We brought our old camera for her to use--maybe once I look at the pictures I will put some of hers up.  When we told her a couple days ago that we were planning on going hiking she decided she needed to bring a backpack.  She filled it with some binoculars, a small pillow,and a journal (to keep track of what we saw).  I was pretty surprised that she carried it on both hikes.  It also kept her entertained and she didn't complain like she usually does.

Here is a picture of Siamese Twins.  If you look at the formation you can see the resemblance of two people joined at the hands---although I don't think Kyla believed me when I told her.

AJ also had fun.  He walked quite a bit of the second hike--even though it was uphill.  They had put in quite a few wooden steps and he was doing very good on his own getting up them.  He doesn't like putting his hands in the dirt so he was getting up them without using his hands or anything--at least until I tried videoing him then he had trouble!

We really enjoyed the trip.  It was a very neat area that I think we will be going to often!  It was also nice to see Mike and get out of the house on such a wonderful day.  It was hard to believe it was the middle of November in Colorado!!

No comments: