We all enjoyed at least parts of our Rocky Mountain Camping trip. Since there are so many pictures that I wanted to put up I'm putting them in several post with different themes. We made sure to bring a tripod so we could get some family pictures.
The first day that we were there we walked out to Holzwarth Historic Site. The Holzwarth family use to run a guest ranch and some of the cabins are still there. Kyla really enjoyed this area as they had many things for kids to do. Here she is trying to lasso a pretend horse.
AJ was content to just sit in the saddle and didn't want to try lassoing.
They had some bonnets and aprons for kids to try on. They also had hats for the boys--but AJ wanted no part in that.
And her favorite part was washing socks the olden way. She would have spent hours washing socks and putting them thru the wringer if we had let her--she really wanted to go again but we didn't have time. And whenever Adam and I mentioned something we'd like to do if we go to that area again, she was quick to mention going back "to the place where I got to wash clothes". Now if she was only as enthusiastic about washing clothes at home--might have to get me a wash basin and wringer.
Adam was teaching Kyla to skip rocks---AJ thought it was great fun, although he didn't get any to skip.
Pictures of the kids hiking.
AJ ended up falling asleep on this hike--should have brought the backpack for him but instead we took turns carrying him.
Saturday after hiking we spent some time in Grand Lake--a small city just outside the park. We rented a pedal boat and went out on the lake for awhile, they also had a playground for the kids to play on. We did a little shopping and had pizza for lunch. The kids really enjoyed it. And Kyla didn't complain once about all the walking--even though we walked more than on any of our hikes.
It was very sad to see how much the pine beetles have destroyed. I knew they were cutting down trees that were dead in the campground due to safety issues, but I didn't know that all the trees in the campground had been killed by the pine beetle. It was amazing how much damage they could do in the 5 years since we last visited this area. We are having more rain than normal this year and maybe we will have a cold winter to help get the pine beetle population under control---although I think it will take more than just 1 cold winter.
No comments:
Post a Comment